Thursday, December 8, 2011

4 December 2011 / Night, day, and donut

It’s Saturday. I woke up quite pleased that I had finally slept the whole night through, not a single moment of jetlag! And it was good timing, too, as I was meeting John and Toni early in the day to make my first visit to Bermondsey and the Maltby Street Market. It was an absolutely lovely experience, and one of the stalls even sold bok choy (called pak choi on London)!!! I learned what flat white is, and, while smelling some marvellously, unapologetically stinky cheeses, I learned that most cheeses no longer have lactose in them. But, most importantly, I ate my first St. John custard donut (I forgot my camera, but there’s a picture over here). It was truly a monumental morning.

John then took me on a tour of Shoreditch, during which I stroked some very beautiful, very expensive garments and art books. I even hugged a Junya Watanabe jacket (it has plaid lining! And a split hood!). I spent a good long time in Labour & Wait and decided I still wanted everything they have to offer. I smelled some briney sausages at Leila’s Cafe. I ate my first gammon steak and learned that you don’t refrigerate eggs in the UK.

In the evening, Isobel took me to a pop-up, hole-in-the-wall bar called the Peckham Hotel. I drank a hot toddy in a backyard, surrounded by Christmas trees and fairy lights. It was a good day.

No comments: