Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 31: Boxing Day

Boxing Day marked my one month anniversary in London. While I can't believe it's already been a month, I sorely demonstrated how I'm still quite a newbie to this city. My mistake? Visiting Oxford Circus in the middle of the afternoon.

Wow. How naive I was to think it'd be fun to see the crowds! I felt like a country bumpkin in the big city watching the waves of shoppers and their unwavering commitment to shopping. Laden with bags, children, purses, phones, and take-away food, the shoppers carried on shopping: in and out of stores, queuing for fitting rooms, queuing for cashiers, flagging down buses. They weren't even phased by news that a stabbing had occurred just a few blocks away!

It was a pleasure coming home to a cup of tea, big bowl of homecooked food, and the promise that I'd never, ever do that again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Oxford Street on Boxing Day. Yes, not something that should be attempted unless you are (a) seriously shopping for bargains but aren't really fussy about what those bargains are; (b)have no qualms about wasting a non-refundable portion of your lifetime standing in queues that run up and down the length and breadth of each store; (c) a pickpocket; (d) well prepared with a full map and schedule of where you're going, what you're looking for and how long you're prepared to wait (such shoppers usually travel in packs); or (e) completely and utterly barking mad.

A cup of tea is not only the most sensible option, but the most English one - welcome!

TheSundayBest said...

I miss you.